Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Power of "Common-Unity"

Spending last weekend with over 100 yoga teachers, teacher trainers, practitioners and general yoga enthusiast at Yoga Outreach’s annual weekend retreat fundraiser was truly an experience of the power of community - which was appropriately enough themed ‘Community’ – but not for the reasons I had assumed before I arrived. I love group stuff, I always find it fun, inspiring, and rejuvenating – makes sense as a community relations person. Although, coming from a Kundalini tradition I didn’t think there would be much there for me as a teacher because I practice in a ‘different’ tradition.

However, as I experienced really great workshops from Anusara to Ashtanga and many teachers from ‘different’ traditions, with their own authentic styles, personalities, and belief systems, I moved into a deeper understanding and experience of yoga for myself, and in turn will share with my students. A place I wouldn’t have got to without reaching out and being a part of this large diverse community. Mary-Jo Fetterly, founder of Trinity Yoga, described community as “common” “unity.” For us on the Westcoast we are lucky to have the opportunity to come together and learn from a diverse community but I realized the magic of unity only happens when I a) show up and b) show up as supportive, open minded and ready to receive. The excellent food, beautiful BC surroundings combined with endless sunshine didn’t hurt either!

If anyone has some photos of the weekend I would like to post a couple please send a couple along to simone@yogabc.org.

Regards,
Simone

No comments:

Post a Comment